Well, I'm not the devil...therefore, I don't wear Prada, I suppose.
But even in the way I dress or the things I prefer to wear - I've changed. Isn't that weird? Yeah, this change is a little bit shallow, but I definitely think appearance surely defines a person in some way. For example, in fifth grade, I used to have a middle part in my hair, with bangs straight across that parted in the middle awkwardly, glasses that were way too small on my face, ill-fitting clothes from Abercrombie and Limited Too (in my effort to be "in"), and on top of that, I had bad acne and painful braces. Last but not least, I was mad tall - I was one of the tallest girls in my class (hard to believe, I know) and so, I was a walking fashion disaster. I don't know how my mother allowed me to look the way I did then. I def think this had an impact on my personality, because despite my bossy voice or my spunky attitude, I was actually mad insecure.
In the course of this year, I've changed a bit - not too drastically, but just enough. One thing that has definitely changed is my hair - from straight long hair to wavy hair (for the first time ever) to cropped short hair now. Another thing is, I've moved from Georgia to Pennsylvania. This means an increase in layering/winter clothes. I love layering now. I've also become notorious here for being the "beret/hat lady"; I always seem to be wearing a knit beret of some sort. Or just a hat in general. I also wear boots a lot these days - I used to hate wearing boots in Georgia, but now, I can't live without them.
I think I experiment a lot more...I've had some interesting outfits that I would probably not have bothered wearing in January of this year (and no, not "interesting" in a shady way). I also have a more defined idea of where I like to get my clothes - J.Crew, UO, Gap? But not only that, I just feel more comfortable in my skin. Back in high school, I felt like I had to get up and get dressed well so that people wouldn't think less of me, in the sense that, oh, "nerds" aren't supposed to dress well. But I did, so that I could balance my social side and my academic side. Dressing well was a means for good diplomatic relationships, as much as I hate to admit it. And I still think it's important for many people to put on good clothes so that they have a better chance of having good acquaintance-type relationships in the real world; but definitely, it's not everything.
I love fashion. I really do. And I think I always will. I won't go into anything related to it, most likely, but it's an interest I'll always have. And the thing about fashion is that it's always changing and it's very contradictory sometimes. I thought I would never wear dark brown and black together. EVER. Because that's a crime akin to wearing navy and black together (which I learned from a fashion blog that it can be done well). But I did...several times this semester. So yeah. Fashion is what you make of it.
And...fashion blogs are indeed a total waste of time...but they're so addictive. : ) Just check out: http://www.chictopia.com/user/blog/EverybodyIsUgly (one of my favorites) and http://www.thesartorialist.blogspot.com/ (a classic).
2 comments:
does this have anything to do with what i was wearing yesterday? because someone else pointed it out to me at the end of the day, and then made me feel like crap. but i came home and researched til i fell asleep at an hour which i cannot remember, and then woke up this morning to conclude my research.
“The idea of not wearing brown and black together seems so dated. The other day I wore a black T-shirt, black Nobody jeans, a brown leopard-print belt by Dolce & Gabbana, and brown Giuseppe Zanotti shoes, and it looked awesome. And I also love to mix prints.”
-Rihanna
um i cannot believe that i was given these links before my last final.
ohhh my.
:) dark brown and black? mmm. i'm thinking about my winter accessories. oh well, it gets dark outside quickly.
Post a Comment